The Camburn Withers Scholarship
The Public Education Foundation’s Camburn Withers Scholarship supports Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander students enrolled in Connected Communities schools to strive and reach their full potential and to excel, by providing support for their endeavours and successfully completing their primary years of schooling.
The scholarship is named in memory of Camburn Withers small business owner and feminist, a man of vision, integrity, wisdom, humour and generosity of spirit; a believer in equal opportunity and in doing one’s best. Camburn understood the value of education, learning, history, perseverance and belief in oneself.
The scholarship will provide financial support to help the student with resources and services relevant to improving their educational outcomes. An amount of $1,000 per year will be paid to one successful applicant for each year of their primary schooling, Years 2-6 (total amount $5,000). It will be shaped by the needs of the student with support and input from relevant parties which may include from the school principal, the Foundation and/or the Aboriginal Education Consultative Group.
The scholarship is to cover educational expenses such as:
- Face to face or online tutoring
- Incidental fees (eg. Text book hiring, costs associated with a specialised subject etc)
- Uniforms and school shoes (including school sports clothing)
- Stationery and general office items and equipment
- Text books
- Laptop or iPads or other similar devices
- Internet connection for study at home
- School excursions and school camps
- Costs associated with work experience linked to VET subjects
- Furniture for study such as desk, chair, lamp etc
If a student leaves public school before the end of primary school, the scholarship will lapse. Any unspent monies at the end of the scholarship period must be refunded to the Public Education Foundation scholarship fund.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website at www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarship-awards-terms
- Enrolled in Year 2 in 2017 in one of the following schools:
- Boggabilla Central School;
- Bourke Public School;
- Brewarrina Central School;
- Coonamble Public School;
- Hillvue Public School;
- Menindee Central School;
- Moree East Public School;
- Taree Public School;
- Toomelah Public School;
- Walgett Community College Primary Campus or
- Wilcannia Central School
- Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Evidence of successful transition into the primary school environment and demonstration of capacity to succeed at school
- Have positive attitude towards school and high attendance rates
- Evidence or testimony from the School Principal and the Classroom Teacher
- Agree to the terms and conditions of the scholarship, including providing feedback to the Public Education Foundation and at the completion of each academic year during the scholarship period.
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, the Aboriginal Education Consultative Group and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicant for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
APPLICATION FORM AND ATTACHMENTS
Please note that all applications are now received via the Foundation’s online portal. The applicant’s parent/guardian or teacher/Principal will need to sign up for a FluidReview account and answer a short questionnaire to determine which scholarships the applicant is eligible to apply for (there may be more than one).
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have finalized your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Monday 27 February 2017.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 9266 8452 or email us at email@example.com.