The Public Education Foundation’s David S. Ratner Scholarship provides support and encouragement for public primary, high school or tertiary students in 2022. This scholarship will support students for a maximum of five years in primary and/or secondary school and/or University or TAFE (provided they remain in public education throughout the five year period). The scholarship provides targeted assistance to students currently in primary or high school to address family hardship and ensure that academic potential can be reached regardless of disadvantage.
A bursary amount of $1,000 per year (maximum $5,000 in total) will be paid to successful applicants for each year of their education commencing from 2022. Consideration will be given to applicants whose family identifies as Jewish who can display potential to thrive in an education environment and who would benefit from additional financial support.
The scholarship funds are intended to be spent on items including:
- Literacy and/or numeracy support
- Stationery and text books
- Laptop, iPad or other similar device
- Subject or study related software
- Internet connection for study at home
- School excursions and school camps
- Furniture for study such as desk, chair, lamp etc
- Face to face or online tutoring
- Course related fees
If the student leaves public education before the end of the scholarship period, the scholarship will lapse. Any unspent monies at the end of the scholarship period must be refunded to the Public Education Foundation scholarship fund.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website.
- Attends a NSW Public School (primary or high school)
- Currently in Kindergarten – Year 12 (in 2021)
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Experiencing disadvantage which could prevent the student from realising their potential at school
- Potential to succeed at school/University/TAFE
- Have a positive attitude towards school and high attendance rates
- Identifies as Jewish
- Demonstrate they participate in school life
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, a funding representative, NSW Department of Education and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicants for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board. The panel may choose to shortlist applicants and invite those shortlisted to an interview. Successful applicants will be notified in December 2021.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
How To Apply
To apply for the David S. Ratner Scholarship, students can access the link to the online portal via the Foundation’s website – http://www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarships
Please note that all applications must be submitted via the Foundation’s online portal. You will need to sign up for a PEF-Apply account to access the form.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- email (please ensure you nominate an email account you regularly access)
- Residence status (copy of residency Visa or Citizenship certificate is a requirement for applicants born outside of Australia)
- Parent/guardian details (at least one but up to two):
- phone number
- relationship to student
- email address (please ensure you nominate an email account you regularly access)
- School details:
- name of school
- principal name
- School Point of Contact – the person at the school who you would like correspondence sent to – name, phone number and email
- Basic information about you/your family:
- whether you are Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, or Pacific or South Sea Islander
- who is the primary caregiver at home
- highest education qualification of your immediate family
- if you are from a Non-English-Speaking Background
- country of origin of your parents and yourself
- which languages you speak and are spoken at home
- if you have a diagnosed disability or learning difficulty
- whether you have been in out-of-home care
- socio-economic background
- how you found out about the scholarship
- FOR PRIMARY SCHOOL STUDENTS
- A statement from the applicant’s parent/carer regarding why the applicant is a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how they meet each of the selection criteria.
- FOR SECONDARY SCHOOL STUDENTS
- A statement outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how you meet each of the selection criteria, (maximum 400 words)
- A brief outline of your plans after you have completed your HSC (maximum 150 words)
- For applicants currently in year 10 – 12, a brief explanation of how your current or proposed subject selection and/or work experience will assist you in your future study and/or work goals (maximum 250 words)
- A copy of all pages of your most recent school report ready to upload
- A personal reference from a member of the Jewish community (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
- A supporting statement from your Principal which addresses the selection criteria (the applicant must initiate a request via the online application to the Principal. This will result in an email being sent to the Principal asking them to complete a statement of support online)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your statement is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the student is enrolled in your school.
Generic supporting statement WILL disadvantage an applicant
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION
Once you have finalised your application and all elements are complete (including references as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 19 October 2021.
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 7814 2806 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.