The NSW Cookery Teachers Association Scholarship assists public school students who have obtained a high degree of proficiency in the subject of Food Technology. The scholarship is offered to students completing Year 12 in 2022 in a public school in NSW or the ACT who intend to continue to university to study a Bachelor of Education (Secondary) or equivalent with a major in Food Technology.
In 2023, up to three scholarships are available. Each scholarship has a value of up to $9,000 per year for 3 years. (Please note – we reserve the right to amend the number of scholarships and scholarship amounts should less than three suitable recipients be selected.)
The scholarship is to cover educational expenses such as:
- Stationery and books
- Payment of course fees
- Laptop / Technology
- Other necessary equipment
- Face-To-Face Tutoring or Online Tutoring
The first payment will be made to successful applicants following confirmation of enrolment after the HECS Census for the autumn session (31 March 2023).
At the end of each academic year, the student will be required to submit to the Public Education Foundation evidence of their successful progression through their study in the form of an academic transcript. If a student is not progressing satisfactorily through their study, the Public Education Foundation reserves the right to terminate the scholarship.
If a student discontinues their tertiary education or transfers to a different course, the scholarship will lapse. Any unspent monies at the end of the scholarship period must be refunded to the Public Education Foundation scholarship fund.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website.
- Enrolled in Year 12 in 2022 at a public school in NSW or the ACT and intending to complete the Higher School Certificate in that year
- Intending to apply for admission to a Bachelor of Secondary Education degree with a major study in Food Technology
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Commitment to teach in the NSW public school system on completion of the degree
- Potential to do well at University and be able to demonstrate that the scholarship will make a significant contribution to reaching that potential
- Demonstrated commitment to train as a teacher of Food Technology, with the aim of returning to teach in the NSW public school system
- Evidence or testimony from the School Principal of high potential
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives from the Public Education Foundation and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicant for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome via email. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
How To Apply
Applications for the NSW Cookery Teachers Association Scholarship must be submitted online. To access the application form you will need to sign up for a PEF-Apply account.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- email (please ensure you nominate an email account you regularly access)
- Residence status (copy of residency Visa or Citizenship certificate is a requirement)
- When you came to Australia (if applicable)
- Number of years in formal education before coming to Australia (if applicable)
- Parent/guardian details (at least one but up to two)
- phone number
- relationship to student
- email address
- School details:
- name of school
- principal name
- School Point of Contact – the person at the school who you would like correspondence sent to – name, phone number and email
- Basic information about you / your family:
- whether you are Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, or Pacific or South Sea Islander
- Your mob/family/traditional owner/language group
- who is the primary caregiver at home
- highest education qualification of your immediate family
- if you are from a Non-English-Speaking Background
- country of origin of your parents and yourself
- which languages you speak and are spoken at home
- if you have a diagnosed disability or learning difficulty
- whether you have been in out-of-home care
- socio-economic background
- how you found out about the scholarship
- Your University course preferences including name of the institution and name of degree (you must submit at least one preference, but can supply up to three)
- A statement outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how you meet each of the selection criteria. (Maximum 400 words)
- A brief outline of how your current studies (including subject selection) and work experience support your planned University studies.
- A copy of all pages of your most recent school report ready to upload
- A personal reference from someone who knows you. It could be a teacher, coach, family friend or an employer. (PDF or Word format, maximum 400 words)
- A supporting statement from your Principal which addresses the selection criteria (the applicant must initiate a request via the online application to the Principal. This will result in an email being sent to the Principal asking them to complete a statement of support online)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your statement is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the student is enrolled in your school.
Submitting Your Application
Once you have finalised your application and all elements are complete (including references and supporting statements as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm on Tuesday 7th March 2023.
For Further Information
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 7814 2806 or email us at email@example.com.