Susan and Isaac Wakil Foundation scholarships seek to support motivated individuals with demonstrated merit, who are facing hardship, to realise their career goals and contribute to a better and brighter Australia.
The scholarships provide financial assistance to high potential students in Year 12 who intend to continue studying either at TAFE or University after finishing their Higher School Certificate. The scholarships assist with the transition into and progress through post-school education e.g. University bachelor degree, TAFE accredited apprenticeship or a TAFE Advanced Diploma.
Please note: the Susan & Isaac Wakil Foundation sponsors Susan Wakil Nursing Scholarships at the Susan Wakil School of Nursing and Midwifery, University of Sydney. Applicants planning to study in either of these fields cannot be considered for the Susan & Isaac Wakil Foundation scholarship, and are instead encouraged to apply to the University of Sydney scholarships via https://www.sydney.edu.au/scholarships/domestic/bachelors-honours/faculty/medicine-health.html
About the Scholarship
Each scholarship offered consists of an annual payment of up to $3,000 provided at the commencement of each academic year, up to a maximum of 3 years. For students relocating from a rural or remote area, an additional one-off payment of up to $3,000 may be provided to assist with initial relocation expenses. The value of the scholarship offered to successful students will be based on their geographic location, personal circumstances and choice of post-school education.
The scholarship is intended to cover educational expenses such as:
- Course fees
- Necessary equipment
- Stationery and books
- Face-To-Face Tutoring or Online Tutoring
At the end of each academic year, the student will be required to submit to the Public Education Foundation evidence of their successful progression through their study in the form of an academic transcript. If a student is not progressing satisfactorily through their study, the Public Education Foundation reserves the right to terminate the scholarship.
If a student discontinues their tertiary or TAFE education, the scholarship will lapse. Any unspent monies at the end of the scholarship period must be refunded to the Public Education Foundation scholarship fund.
Before applying for this scholarship, please ensure that you read the scholarship terms and conditions available on our website.
- Attends a NSW Public School
- Currently in Year 12
- Australian citizen or permanent resident
- Commitment to studying a tertiary or TAFE course as a full-time student in 2022
Successful applications should meet the following criteria:
- Evidence that current study, academic records or work experience is appropriate to the nominated tertiary study or training
- Determination to complete the nominated study or training
- Experiencing equity hardship(s) that may prevent them from otherwise successfully transitioning to post-school study or training
- Commitment to the core values in NSW Public Schools; respect, fairness and democracy.
- Positive attitude towards schooling
- Participation in school life
- Contributes in the community and/or in extracurricular activities
A selection panel will review all scholarship applications and assess them against the selection criteria. The selection panel will include representatives of the Public Education Foundation, a representative from the funding partner and independent experts. After considering all applications, the selection panel will recommend the selected applicant for the approval of the Public Education Foundation’s Board.
Applicants will be notified of the outcome in December 2021. If successful, the scholarship recipient’s school principal will also receive notification directly.
How To Apply
To apply for the Susan & Isaac Wakil Foundation Scholarship, students can access the link to the online portal via the Foundation’s website – http://www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au/scholarships
Please note that all applications are now received via the Foundation’s online portal. You will need to sign up for PEF-Apply account to access the form.
Prior to starting your application, you should compile the following information ready to submit:
- Applicant details including:
- full name
- date of birth
- phone number
- email (please ensure you nominate an email account you regularly access)
- Residence status (copy of residency Visa or Citizenship certificate is a requirement for applicants born outside of Australia)
- Parent/guardian details (at least one but up to two):
- School and principal details
- School Point of Contact – the person at the school who you would like correspondence sent to – name, phone number and email
- Basic information about you/your family:
- whether you are Aboriginal, Torres Strait Islander, or Pacific or South Sea Islander
- who is the primary caregiver at home
- highest education qualification of your immediate family
- if you are from a Non-English Speaking Background
- country of origin of your parents and yourself
- which languages you speak and are spoken at home
- if you suffer from a disability
- whether you have been in out-of-home care
- socio-economic background
- how you found out about the scholarship
- Your University/TAFE course preferences including name of institution, name of degree/course and course fees (you must submit at least one preference, but you can enter up to three).
- A statement outlining why you are a suitable candidate for this scholarship and how you meet each of the selection criteria. (maximum 400 words)
- A brief outline of how your current studies (including subject selection) and work experience support your planned University/TAFE studies.
- A copy of your most recent school report ready to upload (PDF or word format)
- A personal reference (PDF or word format, maximum 400 words)
- A supporting statement from your Principal which addresses the selection criteria (the applicant must initiate a request via the online application to the Principal. This will result in an email being sent to the Principal asking them to complete a statement of support online)
Note for Principals: Please be aware that your statement is a critical component of the application form and your feedback is given considerable weight in the process of panel deliberations. The panels are looking for feedback that goes well beyond simple confirmation that the student is enrolled in your school.
Submitting Your Application
Once you have finalized your application and all elements are complete (including references and supporting statements as required) you can submit it for review.
Applications must be submitted by 11.59pm (AEST) Tuesday 3rd August 2021.
For Further Information
Call the Public Education Foundation on 02 7814 2806 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also encourage you to visit our website to learn more about the Foundation and the work that we do – www.publiceducationfoundation.org.au